Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Student Dot Going to Homestead

More than six years ago I got in a van to Homestead, FL excited to have an entire week without my parents. I went in to the trip thinking it would be a fun way to spend a week of my summer and to have a little bit of freedom, instead it was a hard week, where I really began my journey with Christ. I have spent the last six summers being challenged, loved, needed and changed. Open House has been a part of my life, and a part of growing up.

This summer I will be interning as the Arts Instructor at Open House Ministries. I will be working with both the children and youth integrating the arts in to their camps. I hope to be able to teach them performance skills and to give them the opportunity to create their own theatre.

I believe that the performing arts are can be used in a number of ways. It helps build confidence and allows for creative expression. Theatre, music, and dance can all be used as vehicles to teach, whether it be social skills, teamwork or your basic school subjects. In high school, I was a part of a class that taught second graders math, science and English through art lessons. Last summer I went with Theatre on a Mission and did a ten day theatre camp at an orphanage in Kenya. I have seen firsthand how the arts can enrich lives and build relationships while crossing cultural barriers. I hope to share this passion of mine with the children and youth at Open House Ministries.


The Student Dot Go internship program through CBF has been home to many HAB students over the years, and I am proud to be a part of that relationship. This program gives me the privilege to share my love of God and my love of the arts in a ministry that I have long been a part of. Thank you to my congregation for teaching me to be a faithful steward, and for supporting me in my endeavors. 

I hope that this blog will allow me to share with you many wonderful experiences this summer. 
Camp starts next Monday, and I am driving down on Thursday. 

Wish me luck!
Meredith

0 comments:

Post a Comment