Saturday, June 27, 2015

Letting Go

We've all heard that cheesy saying "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans," and maybe it's just me but I never thought it was as cute as everyone else seemed to. I love plans. It is probably because I was raised by project managers, but I rely heavily on making my weekly to do list and consider the monthly calendar one of my best friends.
Unfortunately for my anal retentive tendencies, I have found that working in ministry, and working specifically with kids does not allow for this heavy reliance on plans. Planning is essential, but in the execution of those plans fluidity is key.
Each morning I am tasked with teaching drama to  four thirty-five minute sessions of campers. I come in every day with a thought out lesson plan. Warm up- 5 minutes, introduction- 5 minutes, activity one- 10 minutes, activity two- 10 minutes, wrap up- 5 minutes. And each day, it changes drastically. Sometimes campers don't like an activity or game that I planned for them, sometimes they are tired from playing outside, sometimes they don't want to listen to the instructions, and most of the time they just want to play freeze dance.
I have one group of third graders who never wants to play the games I plan. I can implement a lesson perfectly in each of the other groups and get to this one and have to give up half way through.
So what do I do? I have the choice to try and force my plans, or I can turn to God for the strength to let go. I have to trust that he has a plan that is bigger than anything I could foresee. So I turn to a proverb I have heard many times in my life.

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3: 5-6 (NIV)


0 comments:

Post a Comment